Thursday, December 18, 2008

a recent book acquisition: Programming Amazon Web Services

My main Internet provider is quite good at certain services, and they provide with that awfully nice IMAP server; they even allow me to run procmail with my own rules to sort my e-mail into IMAP folders.

I made terrible experiences with them, when I made some Rails experiments. Essentially with ruby and its GEMs as well as with perl and its CPAN you need to be able to run a C compiler yourself in order to get those nice modules built. They don't allow me to run a C compiler there, so I was searching for a different solution.

Sooner or later I came across this book, and with its help (and also with openSUSE 11.1's new features) I want to set up my openSUSE EC2 image. My ideas go towards Catalyst (the perl MVC framework), a web presence for my girl friend, who is a fine arts professional, and of course a few web sites for my own purposes ...

No comments: