Tuesday, April 26, 2011

how to supply more than one (prefix) argument to an emacs keyboard shortcut resp. function

  • You can not supply more than argument to a keyboard shortcut, but you can only supply them to the related function itself.
  • You can find out, which function is related to a keyboard shortcut by typing "C-h k" before the keyboard shortcut.
  • Of course you would have to call the function "the Lisp way", but how and where?
    "M-x eval-expression".
  • After using emacs for about 20 years, today I asked myself this question seriously, because "No Gnus v0.15" started costing me too much time, if I want to move an article from one group to another one of the many, many groups of mine (gnus-summary-move-article). It takes an "eternity" to prepare the list of groups I can move to, and that's really far too much time for me. Now I call it like this:
    (gnus-summary-move-article 1 "nnfolder:persons.xyz")
    it costs me far less time to switch to the *Group* buffer, to find the target group there, to copy the right name into a paste buffer there, and to use it through eval-expression.
Update 2011-06-22:
With "No Gnus v0.17" gnus-summary-move-article did not go through SPAM filtering again any more. That's what I want. But I only found that out after starting my emacs again after like 2 months, when I started to prepare the article for gnus-info-english in order to ask there how to get rid of that terrible delay.

No comments: