Wednesday, June 29, 2011

4G-Systems XSBoxGO – UMTS WIFI router, battery driven

product page at 4G-Systems

My new "away from home office" Internet access equipment. Certainly a lot more lightweight than an AVM FRITZ!Box 7390 or 7270, but it may do its job.
The specific requirement was "battery driven". Outside (e.g. on a bus (yes!!!), in a customer's office, in a friend's living or sleeping room – wherever I feel tempted to do something over the Internet), I don't want to deal with a UMTS USB stick attached to the notebook on my lap, instead I want to have the device anywhere in my bag or a pocket of my clothes, helping me without attracting other people's attraction to a fancy or huge device.

It's so tiny, you can easily put it "somewhere" and forget, where you left it. For the time being I will keep it in my tiny iPod cloth pocket, so that it doesn't catch a lot of scratches. Of course, I won't necessarily use them together.

Update 2011-07-01
  • Wearing it in operating in a pocket is not a good idea, it needs fresh air.
  • Restarting through pressing a button does not always work, removing the battery always works.
Update 2011-08-04
I tried to connect to it via WIFI again, and the SSID did not appear.
I dug into it, and I found, that WIFI was disabled. After enabling it again, all was fine.
I have no idea, how WIFI got disabled. That makes no sense to me.

No comments: