Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Google Mail: from forwarding to active polling

I really liked their feature, that I can forward the incoming e-mail to my Google Mail account (and the Google Mail / Google Apps one as well) to my main e-mail account.
But they poke the "Return-Path:" mail header field then, and that makes it unreasonable for use with procmail.
So for the time being I switched them from forwarding to getting polled by fetchmail with SMTP-ing to my standard account.
The new problem to face then: My mobile phone Internet Access does not allow me to do IMAP and SMTP, and most corporate networks just as well. So maybe I let my own server in my home office do this. The downside of that: sometimes messages do not get successfully sent out, and I will never notice them, if that occurs on my (home office) server. In my experience that only occurs to messages with weird sender addresses and so forth – but you never really know that.
Well, we shall see! More valuable experiences to make.

No comments: