Wednesday, January 2, 2008

my own subversion repositories "out there"

Created my 1st subversion on my web space using the svn+ssh protocol along the lines of the PragProg book. I used this scheme, because I could get started w/o any admin intervention. It also behaves fairly safe.
Alright, something on the background: My web space provider gives me UNIX shell access via ssh.

The svnadmin create ... got executed locally on the machine, where the repository lives, afterwards I followed chapter 5 accessing a repository, section on svn+ssh, you find a free extract of that book here.

Because of the ssh detail there is a tiny obstacle to overcome, until I will be able to share this repository with co-workers.

My ISP employs somebody incredibly helpful to me, and that guy actually managed to run another svnserver, just dedicated to me, fully configurable by myself, on a fixed port. I am overwhelmed.

Q: What do I pay them for that service?
A: They regard it as included in my package.

No comments: