Saturday, January 5, 2008

my latest ruby mp3 utlity

I purchased recently a couple of MP3 CD-s, and some of them did not contain the ID3 tag tracknum, and obviously some software depends on that tag for presenting the pieces in the right order.
I started writing a utility in perl, but the library I made use of was hopelessly outdated and only dealt with IDv1.
My current approach is a utility in ruby making use of the ruby gem mp3info, that this article is linked to.
In the middle of this tiny project I came to a few important conclusions.
This is the most important one: My MP3 files are named just after their track numbers. That makes life incredibly easy, if it comes to weird characters of whatever origin.
How did I copy the MP3 files from the CD-ROM to my hard disk? Coyping under Linux did not work out, as some files on the CD-ROM just did not get listed, presumably because of their weird names. Copying let's say 100 or 200 files from a Windows computer over the network to a Samba server always stalls and breaks somewhere in the middle. So I decided to always start copying under Linux, find out the gaps using a script, and then copy the missing files using the Windows computer.

No comments: