Thursday, August 12, 2010

being O.T. on mailing lists

A (nice) guy told me in a nice way, one of my postings looked like advertising for O'Reilly books on that mailing list. Luckily enough, we had connected before through Xing (for the U.S. guys: something liked LinkedIn), I gave him a call on his mobile phone, and we talked about it. He actually agreed, that my posting on O'Reilly's new HTML5 book was the least O.T. posting out of a couple, but still.

Good to get feedback from "mates" and to sort it out one-2-one.

That still tells me, to be a little more cautious with public announcements.

It was about a presentation on HTML5, that I offered to give. Actually: From my "being slightly O.T." on a couple of mailing lists came an invitation to a technology conference in October. The guy reckoned, if I had specifically offered to that particular group, that I would give a presentation on their meeting, that would have been alright.

Hmmm. Well, it was meant that way. And "just in case", nobody wanted it on any of the local user groups' meeting agendas, I would have presented it "wherever".
I think I do need a marketing person for that. It's just that I can't even afford employing and salarizing myself these days. So instead of doing nothing I think I have to accept, that errors and problems and misunderstandings just occur … and deal with them.

I do have these Israeli marketing girls on my twitter following list, that's a little like an ongoing course on that topic – a little.

No comments: