Saturday, October 2, 2010

e-mail addresses and "plussing"

e-mail addresses and "plussing"

e-mail messages addressing John.Doe+MailingListName@gmail.com are meant to actually go to johndoe@gmail.com, in other words:

  • “.” characters actually get removed for computing the real mail box
  • everything starting the “+” character and going to the “@” character (not including the latter) gets removed entirely
On the recipient side, software can check on plussing and may come to decisions based on the string between the “+” and the “@”.

Yes, gmail does support plussing.

On my domains I have a catch-all rule for e-mail forwarding aliases, and on those computeres, where I receive e-mail using fetchmail, procmail rules help me with the checks.

When I will get around to it, I will write here under "e-mail", how I make use of IMAP, procmail, and fetchmail.

No comments: