Saturday, September 18, 2010

from Fort-de-France back home to my client / host

Got on a bus.

Left the bus at the giant Carrefour / Dillon market.

Some shopping incl. getting the Toy Story sneakers for son#2, some beer and tea bag and lovely red jam and nut cream and instant coffee and last not least some guave fruits.

My client / host and me had agreed in the meantime to meet at the Gwa Gwa pub to eat out.

Got on a bus, asked the bus-driver to tell me, where the stop for the hospital resp. Gwa Gwa would be, and he told me to take the bus in the other direction (stuttering and not easy to understand).

Got to the bus stop in the opposite direction, called my client / host again, and he confirmed that I actually was in the bus in the right direction – so, girls, do you know, why men don't ask strangers for the direction? because they hate to get fooled. Even if he didn't fool me on purpose, I just shouldn't have asked.

So waiting for the next bus in the right direction, which could take up to an hour.

Had the foolish idea to show my thumb, like hitchhikers do it in Germany, but why shouldn't I? I had to wait anyway, so I can just as well do something useful at the cost of very little energy. Apparently hitchhikers do it differently over here, they more like wave their right hand to say "Helloooooo!".

A lady and her maybe 12y daughter stopped, not taking me for too serious, but not being too anxious as well. That was rather nice. After leaving their car I checked for my iPod, confused where I had put it at last, ran to their car, asked them to let me have a look at where I sat, didn't find it there, finally found it in my rucksack. Of course.

I got to the Gwa Gwa quite some time before my client / host, and enjoyed sitting there and watching people, apparently middle class.

Had some nice time there with my mate.

Had a gentle walk back later that evening, actually always slightly anxiously watching the traffic, not only because we were hard to spot during this nightly walk on that rural road.

No comments: