Saturday, July 17, 2010

using SVG for graphics within HTML generated from DocBook Website

I learned the hard way, that SVG graphics must get referenced via EMBED, not via IMG. I do that now.
But still…
I created a "generic logo". It's white on a transparent background, the real background determined by the context. That's the idea. But I found this on the web – now I am confused:
How do I set the background color of an SVG image?
Sadly, SVG does not support directly specifying an image background color. With aiSee, however, you can easily work around this drawback by artificially enlarging the layout plane as follows: Open the SVG file with a text editor and manually adjust the four values of the viewBox attribute. This attribute is to be found in the third line of the SVG file.
The idea is to share this logo with the DocBook community. So far all new DocBook Websites are branded NM like Norman Walsh, that's because he started that software. I asked him for the sources of the logos a couple of days ago, but he couldn't find them, and they were GIMP XFC anyway, and not scalable as SVG. SVG is the hit IMO.

I thought I should mention this: I am using O'Reilly's SVG Essentials, that's IMO a great book, and you can read and print it for free on their O'Reilly Commons wiki.

No comments: